Saturday, April 7, 2012

Outdoor Chalkboard

I've been seeing outdoor chalkboards all over Pinterest lately. I decided to venture to Lowe's by myself and try to make one for the kids. I'm also super cheap and was NOT going to spend a fortune on chalkboard paint, so I decided to give the homemade chalkboard paint a try as well.

I went into Lowe's and grabbed the cheapest, piece of wood I could find. I have no idea how big it is or what kind it is, I know I'm super handy! I asked them to cut the piece of wood in half so it would fit in my minivan. I ended up having to un-install 2 out of the 3 carseats to get both pieces of wood to fit in the car.

I put the extra piece of wood in my basement, I figured if I screwed up the first one, I at least already have a back up piece to try again on. I laid down a tarp, so I wouldn't get paint every where. Then I sanded down the wood on both sides and edges.
Then I mixed some outdoor black paint with some non-sanded grout to make the chalkboard paint., 
 I painted 2 coats of paint on each side including the edges. I let it dry at least an hour in between coats. 
 Once it was dry I rubbed chalk all over the board to condition it, then screwed it to the porch and ta-da! A new chalkboard big enough for all the kids to use it at the same time!