Ok here's what's happening with the baby this week:
- Although the baby is still very small, it is beginning to look more like a human being. The baby's back is straightening out and the tail is shrinking. In proportion to the rest of his body, the head is large and remains curved forwards onto the chest. The head is erect and the neck is developing well.
- The baby will begin to make tiny movements as the muscles start to develop. You can not feel any of these early movements, but you might be able to see them during an ultrasound.
- The arms and hands are progressing faster than the legs and feet at this point. By this time of the baby's development, the hands have defined finger ridges and the tissue between them will die off to leave separate fingers.
- Most joints are formed now
- Fetus will curve its fingers around an object placed in the palm of its hand. At only nine weeks, if you happen to have an ultrasound, you may observe your infant fascinated by everything he or she can lay their fingers on (mainly other fingers, toes, ears and nose).
- Fingerprints are already evident in the skin
- The baby can also make a fist, and he/she may begin sucking his/her thumb.