Thursday, April 23, 2009

First Emergency

Yesterday we had our first emergency. It started out like a normal day, Grace slept in an extra hour, but I just figured it was because she was rather restless in her sleep the night before.

Grace woke up, she ate, and we played. While playing every few minutes she'd reach over for me and give me a hug...that just melts my heart! Anyways, back to our day...Grace was starting to show signs that she was ready for a nap. I nursed her and she fell asleep. Grace was still napping 3 1/2 hours later, I finally had to wake her because my bladder was going to explode. So, I woke her and realized she was really warm, I change her diaper and check her temp...102.4 rectally...shoot! I call Cole and he calls Grace's doctor. I give Grace what's left of the Tylenol, of course we're out of Tylenol! The doctor informs us this is way to high and she needs to be seen immediately. Great, except it's 4pm now and the doctor's closes at 5, and Cole is at least 1 1/2 hours away with the car, our debit card, Grace's car seat, her binkie, my house keys, and to top it off my cell phone is dead. Great!

The nurse tells Cole if we can't make it in time then we'll have to go to the E.R. Well, I really did not want to bring Grace to the E.R because 1. we'd be there all night and 2. who knows what else she'd catch while there. So, Cole calls my brother-in-law, Josh, and asks if I can borrow their car, car seat, cell phone, and debit card...he says yes. So, I change Grace, quickly pack a diaper bag, throw on clothes (of course this is the day I don't shower), put Lily in her crate, rush to my sister's get everything I need. I drive to the doctor's and try not to panic about how quite Grace is being in the back. I keep touching her head making sure I can feel her pulse, hoping she doesn't seize or pass out on me. I keep talking to her, but she doesn't make a peep. This is the one car ride I don't want her to be quite. I want her to be loud, make noise! I manage to make it to the doctor's by 4:30.

I get to the doctor's explain she has no other symptoms besides her temp and sleeping. They check her temperature again...the nurse does it under her arm 97.7, I ask her to recheck it rectally, 102. The nurse weighs Grace 21 lbs 12.5 oz (yikes she's gained a pound since her last appointment 2.5 weeks ago.) I waited in the room with Grace for the doctor, trying not to panic, trying to push those thoughts out of my head...remembering how I'd have seizures when I was little if my temp was this high...remembering how Cole's cousin, Ryan, passed away when he was 6 months suddenly from meningitis. I try to hold myself together. I just keep telling myself that I can cry when I get home. The doctor finally comes in and examines her. She doesn't find anything wrong and says to keep giving her Tylenol every 4 hours and wait to see what happens.

Deep breathe. I return all my borrowed items and return home. I strip Grace down to her diaper and let her play. I give myself permission to cry, but I no longer need to. I just feel relieved. After 10 minutes I put Grace in some cool pajamas and nurse her. She falls asleep and takes a 2 hour nap. By the time she wakes up she's an hour over due for Tylenol. I check her temp 97.7, yes! I give her Tylenol anyways. She acts fine the rest of the night..plays, laughs, and gives lots of hugs. Before bed I rechecked her temp 98.6..perfect!

I have no idea why her temp spiked so high, I'm just thankful it's back to normal and that I made it through our first emergency!