Friday, May 22, 2009

Seriously?!

Story time!

Last night before we went to Chili's as a family to celebrate our anniversary we stopped at Target. I know Chili's is so klassy, but they have an allergen menu and it's not a huge deal to throw food on the ground. Anyways my story is about Target, not Chili's.

So we ran to Target to pick up a few things, but at Target a few things always turns into many things. I had Grace in the wrap and her and I were in the kids' paint/crayon aisle, when this crazy old lady (col, for short) riding on a motorized shopping cart came bombing down the aisle. I immediately jumped back to get out of her way, but she stopped in front of us and began talking.

col: "oh, how cute!"
me:"Thanks!"
col:"What's her name?"
me:"Grace"
col:"How old is she?"
me:"8 months"
col:"Really? She's a peanut!"

Ok, I laugh, because Grace is so not a peanut, but I just please this woman and shake my head.
col:"How much does she weigh?"
me:"Almost 22 pounds."
col:"Tiny, huh?"
me:"Ugh, ya...she's in the 95th percentile for weight."
col:"She's 8 months?

col is now beginning to get mad and snippy, but I try to remain pleasant and keep smiling and laughing.

me:"yup"
col:"What month was she born!"

Hmm, I'm starting to think this isn't going so well

me:"September"
col:Really?"

What I wanted to say was "I think I know what month my daughter was born in" but I just nod my head instead.

col:"Well my granddaughter was born in October and she looks so much bigger. How much did you say she weighs?"
me:"Almost 22 pounds"
col:"Well, my granddaughter only weighs 15, but is a month younger, but looks so much bigger...why?

Huh?You're asking me why my daughter looks smaller, but is actually bigger...hell, I don't know, crazy lady! But instead of saying that I say "I don't know...I guess Grace just carries all her weight in her thighs" of course I'm laughing and smiling, but secretly hoping someone else comes down the aisle so that this lady will stop yelling at me.

col:"How much does she weigh?"
Not again..."22 pounds"
col:"Are you sure, because she looks so much smaller then my granddaughter!"

Just in time Cole saves me by finding me and asking me a question about the infant Tylenol, I act concerned enough with it that Crazy Old Lady drives off.

Some people really are crazy, you never know who you'll meet at Target! I didn't know I needed to be armed with hospital records to prove the weight and age of my child, but now I know for future outings!